Sunday, February 7, 2010

Google Wave or not to Wave?

“Google Wave is an online tool for real-time communication and collaboration. A wave can be both a conversation and a document where people can discuss and work together using richly formatted text, photos, videos, maps, and more.”

In a world where technology is ever changing and nothing stays the same Google has introduced us to Google Wave.

In my Social Media PR class we have been introduced to Google Wave. This is a new way to experience communication on the internet. As Google would say, it is what Email would have been if it was just created. I completely agree. In a way the Wave resembles AIM because it is live but it is upgraded to have as many people come and go through the chat as you want like a chat room but for anyone interested in the topic. Also, you can have private chats with certain people for lets say a project you are working on. This can be very helpful and time efficient.

Google Wave is still on an invitation only basis so we can be “Guinea Pigs” and sort out its kinks. Yes, it does have a lot of kinks but I see a lot of promise in Wave just as I saw a lot of promise in Twitter when it first began. Everything takes time to take off and be a hit but I know once people get a hold of Wave there will
be no stopping it.

WAVE.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I agree when you say google wave seems as promising as twitter. In class, when the professor showed us how google wave didn’t really know what it was, but seemed to have the capabilities of social networking, chat, email, etc, it seemed overwhelming. All of these different things bombarded on one site doesn’t seem like it would be very easy to use. But, it would be practical. I cannot say I have really taken the time to play around with google wave (I couldn’t even figure out how to upload a picture!) but even face book, myspace, and twitter took some getting used to. I also agree that after the kinks are worked out, we will probably be seeing great things from google wave.

Meghan Athnos said...

You make some good points about Google Wave...I guess I might be biased but I just can't get into this technology! It's too hard for me to navigate, etc. I think its a great concept but needs to be more user friendly.

Michelle said...

Since this was my first blog i was excited to come back to it and tell you guys how I have still be using Google wave today and actually really love it. I was definitely skeptical about it because like any new program it had it quirks and was annoying to get used to but after a while I found it a great Google program and find myself using it all the time!! Bravo Google!